Monday, August 15, 2011

Unlikely Choice

When you think of choosing someone to be the captain of the team, or leader of the group what do you look for?  Most the time we will choose the one who looks like they will fit the part well, at least most the time.  Well, luckily for us God doesn't.  He uses the unlikely to do His work.  He uses the ordinary Joe to complete His task for that is when His glory is shown.

The last couple of Sundays we have been studying about Esther.  Now she was an unlikely choice for God.  The King chose her to be Queen because of her looks, so she looked the part but she definitely felt ill equipped for the task of saving her people.  There were a couple of things that stuck out to me as I was studying her again.  In Esther 4:14b "And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”  God used her where she was at, He used her position to save her people.  God can use me where I am at, whether it is at my job, or at my child's school or at church, He can use me.

Second, in 4:16 " “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” She didn't take lightly what was being asked of her.  Mordecai told her to go before the King and she knew there was danger in doing this without being called.  Once she decided that she had to do this she asked them to fast for her and she would do the same.  It was a serious thing she was getting ready to do and she wasn't taking it lightly.  At the end of the verse she says "And if I perish, I perish" she knew there was great risk but she knew she had to try. 

Another amazing thing to me about Esther is that it is the only book that doesn't mention God yet His providence is at work throughout the book.  God used Esther where she was at and when the time was right she knew she had to be serious about the task at hand. God chooses the unlikely so that no one can boast on what they have accomplished, but that His glory will be seen!

~Missy D

No comments:

Post a Comment