Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wednesdays in His word

Years ago I traveled to rural Mexico on a mission trip. We were there to pour concrete floors in homes and provide bible classes for children. I went more for the “social aspect” and because all of my friends were going. I had no idea what I was getting into! We traveled deep into the mountains of Mexico where the local mode of transportation was donkey and the people defined poor. Each morning we divided up and traveled to different villages for bible classes. I had no idea which village to go to, so I selected the one that had only a handful of people. I soon realized why no one wanted to travel to La Cieneguita. It was the farthest away and the bumpiest of rides.

We arrived and I felt like I was walking into a dream. I was most definitely a foreigner. The houses were so rustic and it was hard to believe anyone lived in them. And I quickly realized that my limited Spanish was not quite enough to communicate properly. Within that first morning of classes, the language barrier didn’t matter. I instantly bonded with a little girl named Cecilia. She had no idea what I was saying but loved that I sang a song with her name in it, “Oh Cecilia, you’re breaking my heart…” For three days, I chose to make the long journey to La Cieneguita because of a little girl with the brightest smile. We never had a real conversation, much less a full sentence that either of us understood. And even though we were geographically foreigners to one another, we were “no longer strangers and foreigners” (Ephesians 2:19), but “members of Gods family.” When I left I was genuinely sad to leave my new friend but incredibly thankful that we were bonded in Christ Jesus.

~Andrea W.


Reading Schedule:
Mon - 2:13
Tues - 2:14-16
Wed - 2:17-20
Thurs - 2:21-22
Fri - 3:1-3

3 comments:

  1. Hey Soul Sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the radio, stero?

    ReplyDelete
  2. STERO? STEREO! Where's my android auto-correcting keyboard when I really need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So blogger is not letting me post comments under my Google profile. The hubs tried to fix it (hence the crazy comments above) but it's still not working.

    What I was going to say was that I liked this post. When I've traveled I've always loved that bond with God's family, even if we can't speak the same language we love the same God!!

    ReplyDelete