Friday, June 17, 2011

Anointed

Every day I have four children in my house - oldest is 4, youngest is 9 months.  Our days are a whirlwind of bottle feeding, reading books, breakfasts and lunches, wiping bottoms, blowing noses, playing on the swingset, breaking up arguments, bandaging boo boos... and the list goes on.  I absolutely adore my children.  I am beyond grateful to be home with them every day, teaching them what I want to teach them, holding them, wiping their tears, kissing their noses.  But I must admit, that there certainly are days where I find myself wondering, "Is this all, Lord?  Am I just a waste?  Here we are, day after day, doing the same thing.  There are people I want to reach out to!  Your world is crying to know you and here we are, again today." 

I am blessed to be participating in a study right now called "Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed."  One of the authors, Priscilla Shirer, last night talked about David's anointing.  At the age of 15 David was anointed as the future king of Israel, yet he didn't begin his job as such until the age of 37!  So for 22 years, he continued to be what he'd always been - a shepherd.  Sounds pretty menial and mundane, doesn't it?  But for that 22 years, David was a shepherd who had the Spirit of God on him.  Just David and the sheep.  And the Spirit.

Our reading for today in Eph 3:16 (New Living Translation) says, "I pray that from his glorious unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his spirit." For us who believe, we come up from those waters of baptism and we have the same anointing as David - that amazing Spirit - that Ephesians tells us will empower us!  And it is unlimited, dear friends.  So sweet shepherd boy, David, needed God's anointing to watch over those sheep, to show compassion to his enemy, to slay a giant!  All before accepting the BIG role that God had in mind for him.

And li'l ol' me? I plan to use that anointing this very day.  My season in life, home with my precious babies, teaching and filling their hearts with lessons of life from God's perspective, is exactly where God desires me to be.  I am ready to slay the giant of impatience, and shower compassion on those little ones who mess up yet again (they are only learning!).  For I am anointed! And someday, if I am faithful with this job, He has more in store for me.  But today, this IS my big job!  Oh to hear him say, "Well done!"

-Kelly T

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic message! I often get bogged down in the daily routine but I am feeling so blessed and encouraged to take on my job as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!! Great post thanks for sharing. I know as a mom I need to remember this everyday!

    ReplyDelete