Friday, July 1, 2011

Choosing to Smell Like God

Eleven days ago, on a Tuesday morning, we almost lost my new baby niece.  God has big plans for that sweet Josie Christine, because he placed some awesome doctors and nurses in her path who worked to get her little heart beating again after it had stopped.  However, that Tuesday, and the following day, we still weren't sure if she would live.  They were some of the most hopeless days I've ever known.

On the second day of her life, as I left the hospital to return to my sister's house, Christ reprimanded me.  He opened my Bible straight to Proverbs 3:5 and gently spoke to me... words that I already had written on my heart, but God knew I needed to see them written on the page on that day.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding..."

The message was very clear and I was ashamed of my lack of trust.  MY understanding was that things were dire.  MY understanding was that I may not watch my niece grow up.  MY understanding was that she may have lifelong problems as a result of her post-birth experiences.  But those thoughts were not of Christ.  He was telling me to believe Him.  He was reminding me that of utmost importance in that moment was to make HIS glory known.

And suddenly I felt His hope return.  Christ offers us hope when the world can not.  Hope that - thank you God!! - He will always lead us in triumph!  He will always give us chances to spread the fragrance of Him to those around us.

In Ephesians 4:17, Paul is quite insistant with the Ephesians that they should no longer think in such futility as the world!  The thinking of the world says there is no purpose for what my sweet Josie went through.  The hope of Christ says, "Aaaaah, my child.  Shine my glory, and let them breathe it in.  It is so very sweet."

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!! How His ways are above ours and are so much greater than we could ever imagine! To Him who is able to do immeasurably more than what we can ask or imagine. Praise God for Josie's sweet story as it is continued to be written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of what Josie's future holds, God has ALREADY been glorified in the ways each person has changed their thinking in regards to her situation...in the ways that people paused in their busy days to pray to God...to thank Him...to praise Him. He has been glorified by your family as the drs and nurses saw your faith. Regardless of any future challenges that Josie might have, God will continue to be glorified because of the amazing family that loves her and will continue to praise our great God for His provisions! Thanks for sharing, as always!

    ReplyDelete