Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesdays in His Word

Growing up as a little girl, I believed the books I read.  I wholeheartedly believed in the love of fairy tales.  There was a handsome prince that rode in on a white horse and would save me from the evil stepmother.  He would see me and feel deeply in love despite the tattered clothes.  We'd ride off together to the most beautiful cabin in a forest where birds sang all day every day.  Our love would grew by the moment and fill a house full of perfect children who sparkled they were so clean.  And of course, we would live happily ever after, with no effort at all.

Even writing that I get tickled.  Life is not a fairy tale. I didn't wear tattered clothes and I didn't even have a stepmother, much less one that was evil.  I live in a very non forest town and would probably would have avoided any fella who came near me on a horse! I do have a child, but trust me, she is far from perfect and rarely sparkles.  The only part that really does exist is that love, that sort of fairy tale love.  Only it wasn't created in childrens storybooks, but in Gods  book. 

In Ephesians 5 (the message version), it instructs the prince of your life to "go all out in your love for your wives."  Paul speaks of this love that is "exactly as Christ did for the church-a love marked by giving, not getting".  Sounds like fairy tale love doesn't it?  But it isn't.  It is how love was created!  It is what marriage should be.  As a woman, and not the husband, all I can do is give this same kind of love to my spouse.  You get what you give.  How can I hope to receive this amazing gift of love without giving it as well?  Seek your true fairy tales of love sisters, it does exist! 

-Andrea W.

No comments:

Post a Comment