Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesdays in His Word

Summer jobs.  Nobody really wants one but we all want the spending money.  So when I was in high school, I got my first summer job.  I worked at a Pool and Pond store.  I use the word store very loosely!  It was basically a greenhouse with a cash register, ponds full of koi fish, and me.  Boy was that a hot summer job.  It was a family owned business and I was left to man the store more times than not.  At the beginning of the summer it was somewhat fun.  I got to catch fish, get a tan and help the occasional customer.  As the summer drug on and the temperature started to rise, my attitude got worse by the day.  All I wanted to do was sleep in, paint my nails and watch TV.  Not wade around algae infested fish tanks and sweat to death.  And to  not have the owners son follow me around pestering me all day.  And I didn't want to deal with customers.  Quickly, the enthusiasm was gone.  The joy of the experience was out the window. 

Since working that job I have encountered countless numbers of employees in all types of jobs just like me.  Unhappy and incredibly lacking in enthusiasm for their job.  Everyone probably wishes they were anyplace else, working for someone other than their boss and dealing with no customers.  I get it.  I understand the lack if joy.  But when I went to that summer job, I was going for me.  I wanted the paycheck, period.  I did it selfishly.

In Ephesians 6,  Paul tells us to, "Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."

Whoa!  That changes EVERYTHING!  Work for the Lord rather than for people!  If I had gotten up every day, gone to work each morning with that attitude, don't you think that summer would have gone by a little differently?  I was serving me.  I was serving customers and the owners.  I wasn't there serving my God.  Even now in my life, with my job being "mom" what a change in my mindset it is reading this verse!  On those days when it's frustrating, when it seems impossible to do anything right, I need to do it and do it enthusiastically!  This is an ah-ha moment!  Sisters, we have to change our attitudes.  We have to live, breath, work for HIM!  Not selfishly for ourselves or for what it will give us, but do it for our mighty Father!  Verse 8 of chapter 6 tells us that He will reward us for the good we do.  Sisters, don't get caught up in the earthly reward we get for working.  Our reward will be grand because it will come from God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment