Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesdays in His Word

Three years ago my husband and I traveled to Louisville, KY for the Ironman competition. I know what you are thinking, “way to go Andrea!” But wait, before you do, it was definitely NOT me that competed. My Jeff trained for nearly two years to be in the very best condition he could and perform at the Ironman. It was literally a life changing experience for us both. I have never witnessed men and women of all ages push themselves to the limit. Their bodies were crying to stop but something kept pushing them. I was able to talk to Jeff in between the 112 mile bike ride and the start of the full marathon. The wife part of me wanted him to sit down and just throw in the towel. I didn’t want to send him out to do a full marathon, but I had to. I kissed him and told him with utter confidence “you can do this!” In the midst of all the athleticism that day, it was the spectators that blew my mind. They were up as early as the competitors. They stood by the sidelines wearing shirts with peoples names. They went without sitting or even food the entire day. They stood out in the exhausting heat and Kentucky humidity to get a glimpse of the athletes. They clapped and cheered for every person that crossed the finish line. The day was filled with amazing encouragement. When Jeff ran across the finish line the hundreds of people cheered and rejoiced with him!

You are that person, You are pushing yourself to the limit (or you should be). Except our race is this life before us. Some days our bodies want to give up, our minds want to throw in the towel. I’ve been there. I’ve been taken to my knees in exhaustion and defeat. But then, you turn the pages of Ephesians and find such hope. Such encouragement. Paul is writing to us to “be flooded with light so that we can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called.” Sisters, I have days that I am beaten down but I have someone out there praying that I be filled with the light! He is praying for us but he’s also encouraging us. I have a cheering section praying that I fulfill my calling! We have people on the sidelines praying for us and rejoicing in our victories. I can’t wait to meet Paul, because I know that he is one of those cheering me on!

~Andrea W.

Ephesians reading this week:
Mon - 1:15-16
Tues - 1:17
Wed - 1:18
Thurs - 1:19-21
Fri - 1:22-23
 

1 comment: