Friday, May 27, 2011

The Joy of the Lord

"God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church.  And the church is his body; it is made full and complete by Christ, who fills all things everywhere with himself."  Ephesians 1:22-23 (New Living Translation)


For the last 31 years, music has been a big part of my life.  I. LOVE. TO. SING!  I am one of those people who can hear someone make a simple statement and it brings song lyrics so vividly to my head that I cannot help but break into chorus.  Often I feel like my life is a musical (and sometimes I wish it were)! My God, ladies, knows this about me.  And in His beautiful mercy, He will often use this against me. :) 


Last night, I did not feel "full." After a draining day with an even-more-exhausting ending, I was on the fence between breaking into tears or just emotionally shutting down as I helped my children brush their teeth.  I had gone all day calling on the power of the Lord in my life - and He had given it!  And then I allowed Satan one too many wins, and I was crashing hard.  As I harshly grabbed at toothpaste and spoke impatience to my beloved young ones, I heard this from the front room:


"The joy of the Lord, will be my strength.  I will not falter, I will not faint..."  It was my husband singing to the baby as he fed him his bottle.  Ashamedly, my first thought was sarcasm.   Oh yeah - the guy who is leaving in 20 minutes to go play racquetball with his buddies - of course he's got the "JOY of the Lord." 


But almost as quickly as the sarcasm came, so too, did the truth.  My child, if you want strength in this hour of your day, when you are feeling so EMPTY, listen to him.  A smile crept across my face as I began to sing.  "The joy of the Lord, will be my strength.  I will not waiver, walking by faith.  He is my shelter I am not afraid.  The joy of the Lord is my strength."


All of a sudden, my grin was so big you'd've thought I was the cheshire cat.  Oh how I felt the truth in these verses from Ephesians.  If I allow Christ to be my head - direct my actions - then truly, I am full.  This is my promised daily bread.  Praise you, Jesus!  Be head of my life and fill me today like only You can.


-Kelly T

4 comments:

  1. I love how open you are. It is such an encouragement. This is a beautiful post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be singing The joy of the Lord all day long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for your day. :) I love your spirit, friend, and the fact that you are willing to listen with open ears even when you're at the point of exhaustion shows who you are deep down in there. I know your day was full and I appreciate you. ;)

    ReplyDelete