Friday, September 2, 2011

Courage Till the End

My sweet Sophie-girl had to have a lab drawn today, out of her sweet, tiny, never-before-punctured vein.  It nearly broke my heart to tell her what was coming.  She listened, and tried to understand as well as her 4-year-old mind could.   I told her that when it began to hurt, she could not move her arm, no matter how much she wanted to.  Then I drew her onto my lap and held her tightly against me.  I watched as the needle penetrated her skin.  I saw her eyes flicker first with pain and then with frustration and perhaps some confusion.  Then the fat tears began to roll in buckets down her precious face.  All the while, she held her arm perfectly in place while the technician drew a whole vile of blood from her arm.  When it was over, she sat and cried on my lap for awhile, cuddled against me, before she hopped down from my lap and told the technician a quiet goodbye.  Before we got to the lobby, she was all smiles (with the promise of a snow cone in her near future!).

What a lesson I learned today.  My 4-year-old daughter’s courage was absolutely inspiring to me.  How I long to follow exactly where God leads me – into uncertainty, threat of pain and sorrow – with no questions asked.  All the while I will go believing that He will fulfill His promises – that He will work good through all things – and this is a necessary step in the story of my life!  I want to know without a doubt that He is there with me, holding me, bringing me peace that passes all of my human understanding.  And when it’s over… for that painful moment will one day end… I pray that I can move on into my future with a stronger heart, and more joy than ever before.  For Christ has promised blessings if I follow Him.  And He WILL make His glory known!  Praise you, Lord Jesus.

Hebrews 3:6-8,10,12-14 “But Christ is faithful as a son over God’s house.  And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.  So, as the Holy Spirit says: ‘Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert...  That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.’…  See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.  But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.  We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.”

-Kelly T

No comments:

Post a Comment