Monday, September 5, 2011

I Am Jonah

Oh how true this statement is for me.  The study of Jonah intrigued me because there have been several times I have told my husband, "I don't want to go to Ninevah".  I don't want to get out of my comfort zone and if I do that person or people will probably not change or they deserve what they are getting so why do I need to try and help.  Shame on me!

Priscilla opened the study with two points that really hit me.  1) interruptions are invitations from God to participate in something for Him and 2) am I putting more priority on my goal or God when I get frustrated with interruptions?

1) As she pointed out if Jonah could see his life as we see it in 4 chapters maybe he would have seen it as an invitation to participate in a supernatural event.  Like Jonah we can't see our lives laid out from beginning to end we are active and writing the story as we go.  Also like Jonah though we are given invitations from God to be a part of the story He wants for us.  Do we say "I get it" or do we run in the other direction?

2) When I get frustrated with interruptions I am really telling God that my plan is better than His and a higher priority.  What?!  It sounds and looks completely ridiculous when you see it written down or hear it said but in truth that is what we are doing.  As I mentioned in a previous post on the sell of our home I was not as patient as I should have been.  There was the interruption in my life of having my house on the market for longer than I thought it should have been but exactly how long God wanted it.  I put my goal of being sold in a week a priority over God's timing.  How much better it was that it was God's timing and not my own!  There are times when I am busy cleaning or packing right now and one of my boys wants me to look at something.   This interruption can be seen as very frustrating to my packing schedule BUT this blessing from God wants to show me something important to him and I need to thank God for that interruption instead of getting frustrated.

She had an equation at the end of the study:  Insignificant Person + Insignificant Task = Interruption
Significant Person + Significant Task = Divine Intervention

I defined it as when we are looking through our eyes we see mere interruption to the task at hand but if we try and see it from God's eyes we see it as an invitation from God to participate in His kingdom. 

So, what are you placing at a higher priority your goals or God's will?  It's easy to say God's will but are we living that way.  I know if I am being honest with myself I have to say no, not 100% of the time.  Let's all encourage each other to place the priority where it should be God's will!

Love you sisters!
~Missy D

No comments:

Post a Comment